General Assembly (GA) is the supreme body of the organization, consisting of founder members and general members. Major duties and rights of the GA is to ratify plan and budget, carry out evaluation of the annual work progress report of the organization, appoint external auditor, endorse financial report, approve amendment of constitution & policies and issue necessary directions to the Executive Committee. GA is held within 3 months of the end of the every Nepali fiscal year.
The appointment of the Executive Committee (EC) consisting of 9 members out of total members of the organization takes place through Annual General Assembly. The tenure of the EC is 5 years. The EC members are trustees of the organization who act on behalf of the organization's constituents. The EC has the principal responsibility for fulfillment of the organization's mission and the legal accountability for its operations. EC is In-charge of establishing a clear organizational mission, forming the strategic plan to accomplish the mission, overseeing and evaluating the plan's success, hiring a competent Executive Director and providing adequate supervision and support to that individual, ensuring financial solvency of the organization, interpreting and representing the community to the organization, and instituting a fair system of policies and procedures for human resource management.
EC meets at least 3 times in a year. HERD believes a basic tenet of good governance is that management and governance are separate. Separation makes checks and balances possible which ensures the organization is well run and important decisions are made with the public interest. Therefore, EC members will not be directly involved in programme implementation. However, they conduct regular monitoring and supervision of the projects/programmes in the organization.
Programme Management Unit:
Under the organizational structure, there are 5 teams (Programme Development, Research Development, Health System Development/Health Service Delivery, Monitoring & Evaluation, Operation and Support). A team manager leads each teams; all of them at a senior position in the organization. Team managers will be members of Programme Management Unit (PMU) and PMU is chaired by the Executive Director. PMU is responsible for day to day management and programme execution including programme implementation plan, periodical reports, recruitments, implementation of policies & guidelines and coordination with the government and other relevant stakeholders.
Policies & Guidelines:
HERD is guided by the following policies and guidelines:
- Human Resource Management Policy 2005: HERD Human Resource Management Policy 2005 governs all the activities of staff members related to recruitment and selection, leave and holidays, disciplinary codes and actions, working hours, salary and benefits and organizational structure. The Policy has been recently amended in July, 2013.
- Financial Policy and Guideline 2004: All the activities related to finance is guided by HERD Financial Management Policy 2004. The policy provides directions related to financial principles, fund management, operation of bank account, authorization of expenditures, overhead charges, budgeting, procurement plan, logistics management and financial ethics. The policy has also incorporated Government of Nepal’s Anti-Money Laundering regulations.
- Data Protection Guideline 2008: The guideline offers a comprehensive oversight on data processing, data collection, data manipulation, data analysis, report writing, dissemination and publication. It describes about data security and data confidentiality.
- Monitoring and Evaluation Guideline 2005: It describes result based management and operational procedures for M & E. It guides M & E indicators for various projects and also describes the responsibilities of M & E team.
- Programme Design and Implementation Guideline 2007: This guideline covers designing of plan of action, collaborating partners, partners and service components, implementation modality and responsible units.
These policies and guidelines will be provided to interested parties upon request through office email (email@example.com).